Tuesday 2 November 2010

Bonfire Night


I love this time of year. The night's draw in and the fire gets lit. Ok so I admit I'm not so keen on the cold rain on the walk to school but on a crisp autumn morning, there is nothing better than kicking through the leaves with the kids.


Bonfire night marks a change of season to me. We all get wrapped up warm and cosy ready to go to a firework display. If you are anything like my family, you will have some treacle toffee in one pocket and cinder toffee in the other! It's the one time of year where we embrace the sweet tooth properly I feel. What I always make sure of is some well matured parkin waiting for us when we get in too.

Parkin is a special treat that I feel is very much underestimated. It is one of the biggest comfort foods you can eat, made with oats, ginger golden syrup and treacle to name but a few of the ingredients. It is then left to mature for several weeks - the longer the better. All those lovely liquids are drawn into the oats making it even more scrummy. I  know this is a northern thing and many people past Watford Gap may not have even heard of this but try it and I'm sure you will be converted! Serve it spread with butter or slightly warmed with ice cream or just on it's own the choice is yours!

Try a slice!



£2.99 + £0.96 postage


Or be bold and go for a whole one!
The family will love you!



£7.99 + £2.24 postage


Or if it's all a bit too rich how about a lemon and golden syrup sponge instead?



£3.99 + £2.24 postage