Tuesday 21 December 2010

Lebkuchen

When I was growing up my gran used to make these. It's something that really reminds me of Christmas. what I didn't realise was that across Germany, Austria and Switzerland each region has it's own variation so trying to recreate the recipe myself was not easy! After searching long and hard and making nice biscuits but not Lebkuchen, I bring you the closest thing to my Austrian Gran's recipe..


Lebkuchen


Ingredients


350g Flour
250g Brown Sugar
100g Ground Almonds
75g Mixed Peel (blitzed in food processor) 
1/2tsp Baking Powder
2tbs All Spice 
50g of honey
2 eggs
Rice Paper (not completely necessary but traditional and stops them sticking!)
1 egg yolk


Topping
50g Melted chocolate 
or
100g Icing Sugar
1 Egg White


Preheat oven to gas 4 (180C/350F)
Easy recipe this! Mix everything (except egg yolk) together until a dough is formed 
Wrap in cling film and chill for at least 30 mins, preferably overnight
Roll into balls about the size of small golf balls and place on top of a circle of rice paper, squash slightly
Brush with egg yolk
Bake for 20 mins


For topping 
Mix icing sugar and water.
Dip each biscuit in mixture and spread all over
Leave in warm place to dry